u.s. college GYMNASTICS?
What to expect when competing in U.S. college gymnastics:
- Gymnastics is a Spring sport, competed in during the second half of the U.S. school year.
- Tournaments are usually held between early-January and mid-March.
- You can expect to compete in approximately 12 tournaments in an average season.
- The off-season for college gymnastics is during the Fall semester.
- You can expect to practice a maximum of 8 hours a week during the fall.
- In addition to training, you will be required to complete weight lifting and conditioning on a regular basis in preparation for competitions.
Men’s gymnastics programs all over the U.S. participate under 1 governing body and 2 divisions.
The NCAA endorses two divisions of men’s collegiate gymnastics.
- Currently, there are 16 competing men’s programs in Division I gymnastics
- 6.3 full gymnastics scholarships are available per men’s gymnastics program
- Currently sponsor 1 men’s gymnastics program
- Financial aid is available but is not considered athletic scholarship